View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Indiana James

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i Coupe
I picked up the car this morning from the exhaust shop. I planned to replace the stock mufflers with Magnaflow units but they had only one on hand. As a test, the machanic held several different muffle types to the pipes while I revved and listened. Everything he had in stock muffled too much or was too deep sounding for my taste.

I decided to forgo the mufflers for the time being and try it out. I am taking a 3 week slow cruise from Indiana to Oregon in July and this will give me plenty of time to assess the sound.

Initial thought...The sound is awesome, as many of you have heard from first hand experience or through the thread. At times, maybe too loud around the neighborhood, so I have found myself short-shifting to keep the revs down. An added benifit may be lower speeds on the surface roads as I hear the exhaust note just fine. In turn, this should reduce fuel consumption. Not a major concern but a nice benefit.

Drone...I hear what may be termed as drone during very light acceleration. At cruising speeds I noticed limited noise, however will need more time to assess as the windows were open the whole time.