View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I find it interesting that Indiana James feels the resonator delete to be too loud around residential areas. This is a good example of how subjective sound levels are to each individual driver.

I personally find the 3-resonator delete is still way quieter than say a stock Aston Vantage, Maserati, or any stock v8 muscle car (ie Z06 or Boss 302). To me I would compare the sound volume to a stock 370Z exhaust. So in no way too loud for a residential area.

Same goes for drone. Drone does not equal loud. I've heard many droning exhausts and to me drone is a boomy VERY annoying resonating sound you get when the car is under load. In bad cases it's painful on acceleration and grinding on the nerves when you are on the highway. In my books drone is more a mid-low frequency sound that is annoying at both low and high volumes. You cannot hear drone on the outside of the car, it occurs within the car.

My M3 has an aftermarket Scorza exhaust that is very loud - I short shift it around my neighborhood - but it does not drone at all.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater