View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
I'd like to see an official BMW statement where they "Endorse dinan tuning", or any aftermarket tuning for that matter. In fact, I'm pretty sure the engineers over here barely heard of it.
The fact that some US dealers offer Dinan tuning is a simple commercial undertaking/cooperation, since Dinan REPLACES BMW's factory warranty, so that BMW dealer doesn't have to DEAL with the problems if they arise. Obviously, they don't mind offering that since they make some money for/off Dinan.

Endorsing means also taking own liability for something. Which is clearly not the case here, since BMW does not offer a warranty for Dinan cars. In fact, tuning also voids the extended warranty and the car can never be traded in as CPO since BMW won't be able to sell it CPO.
BMW tried to buy Dinan a number of years back. After Dinan rejected the deal there was some bad blood for a few years, but it seems they've declared bygones. The is a lot more flexibity wrt extended warranties. Factory warranties are no longer voided due to Dinan and I'm speaking from first hand experience.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)