View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
Why would BMW buy a US tuning brand ? The US market is substantially smaller than the domestic market (about 1/5th), and the US market for tuned BMW's is probably negligible compared to the domestic market.
There are a whole VARIETY of German tuning brands that are larger and have a substantially larger turnover (and target market) than Dinan, why wouldn't BMW buy G-power, Hamann, AC Schnitzer, Kelleners and go for Dinan. Also, what benefitc could that give BMW? To own a small tuning shop? o.O

Also, it's not the factory warranty that's voided, but the extended warranty. The car can't be sold as CPO anymore.
Why would BMW bother with Alpina? Dinan isn't your typical small tuning shop. It's a racing and engineering company. There's a reason why they can sell tunes a year before any else can crack BMW's system. It was my understanding that BMW wanted Dinan to be in the US what Alpina is in Europe. Half of all M car sales worldwide are in the US. BMW recognizes the market specially badged cars. You may not be a fan, but I've admired Dinan engineering for many years.

On the warranty issue, there's a F01 owner here at the Fest who blew a turbo. He had Dinan and an extended warranty and it was covered. If I keep my car beyond the basic warranty period, I plan to buy an extended warranty. BMW won't cover a failed part if it is Dinan's fault, but parts don't fail just because there's a tune. On the CPO end, the Dinan tune needs to be removed to return the car to stock prior to certification.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)