Thread: Last few issues
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 06:27 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota_leWarne View Post
Built the new peddle because the old one was broken.

I understand that the engine and car are not obd1/obd2... what im saying it the car was originally obd1 and the wiring is obd1 so it does not have a port for the code reader that and post 95 would have. The engine is run off and Obd2 dme making the stomp test not work.
i do not see how you could possibly run the dme (pcm in obd2 nomenclature) from an obd2 in an obd1 chassis without setting 'u' codes. these would be the codes set from bus-to-bus module communication, and since the obd2 dme units are flashed and not prom chip, it's not like once could swap 'intrnals' to make it work.

i am not saying that this feat could not be worked around, but it would either be something that looks like a hack job, or there would be all sorts of evidence of wiring being spliced for this setup to work. this amount of work would be something that most professional techs would not consider, since it would be way easier to just get the correct dme for the chassis.

so no, an obd2 reader wouldn't work. an oe scan tool, or similar should work if you are still unable to perform the stomp test. however, if you are unable to perform the stomp test, i would search for possible reasons that would cause this.

one last thing that i would make sure about is that you are in the proper ignition position, and start the stomp test after the lights turn off.

it seems that many guys have trouble the first few times trying to perform the stomp test, so please don't stop trying.

df