View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi Cbruce,

You are missing something I'm afraid!

With thousands of individual owners just on this forum perhaps, listing out suspension mods, which wheels and tyres used would potentially create a massive thread. Practically, for the first few pages, it'd be useful, and then it'd become tedious to look through. There's also thousands of other posts and threads covering pretty much each component already - so plenty on using B&G springs for instance, plenty on using Good Year tyres and plenty on running BMW oem wheels or aftermarket.

The post above from beemteam is an example where a little more research is required. Running 50 profile tyres on the E39 with 18inch wheels is incorrect - the rolling radius will be way off and the speedo will be inaccurate. I believe also, the transmission may go into limp mode as it'll detect these inconsistencies. He's also answered his concerns in the form of saying to lower the car in order to reduce the tyre gap to the wheel arch!

There's thousands of pictures in the various threads as well, so I'd say grab a big cup of tea and some biscuits and have a read through all the topics covering these topics/areas and learning from those.

Here's my setup though;

I only run a minimum of 19 inch wheels on my car. The actual set of wheels in the pictures above are 8.5x19 all round. On this set, I run 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear. I have another set of genuine Hartge Nova 5's;

This set is 9.5x19 all round and tyre sizes are 245/35/19 fronts and 275/30/19 rear. This tyre size setup is the recommended one for the E39 on 19 inch wheels. The sizing above you can use as the rolling radius is only marginally different and also allows for a wider choice of tyre choices as some have a more rounded shoulder which can be useful if you lower the car.

I run Federal SS595 tyres as I've found their wear properties to be absolutely fantastic. I've covered in excess of 30K miles and I still have 5mm of tread left. The tyres on the 8.5x19 set are Avon ZZ3 fronts and Michelin Pilot Sport's on the rear - these were part worn tyres so I can't be accurate on their wear, but so far I'm very happy.

I'm lowered on H&R springs over my oem shocks (they're not Sport ones) you can use the normal shocks with lowering springs up to around 30mm. Any lower and then you'd have to get Sport shocks which are shorter in length etc.

I will soon be going to 20's, just trying to save up at the moment as I have a shortlist of about 4 designs

Cheers, Dennis!