View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

WDRAcing - I will keep one set of 19's for my winter wheels setup and the 20's for summer use. Not that we in the UK actually have much distinction between the two ! weather here has been utterly terrible recently! I've seen a few sets of 20's I really like and with a tiny bit lower, my car will look even better

cbruce - The ride quality for me is absolutely fine. I think I've mentioned it previously in this forum, but if you can put your wife/mum/kids/friends etc in the car and they don't complain about 'harsh' rides etc then you know you've got a good setup! more scientifically, by using high quality suspension components, ensuring your suspension parts are in good order and replacing anything that's worn, there's no reason not to run 19 or 20's on the E39 chassis. OF course, with the lower sidewall on the tyres, you'll feel it's harsher than if you are used to 16's on 55 profile sidewalls but not overly so. 90% of my driving is on good quality roads, not perfect by any means but good quality. I'm sure Wisconsin has some 'good quality' roads too! Of course, if you regularly drive on absolutely terrible quality roads riddled with potholes and massive undulations, then perhaps don't lower and go with bigger wheels. In short, if you research well, choose high quality items, look at your driving style and roads you use most frequently, you can evaluate on going larger or staying on small wheels.

Cheers, Dennis!