View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Type of tint and why?

As I see it, there are a couple of reasons to tint vehicle windows: reduce heat and UV, or to provide more privacy. I suppose, there may be some that just like the look, too.

I'm wondering what most people do it for...I'd prefer only the reduced heat and UV (glare helps, too). I really don't need to hide my passengers (since most, all? state limit the tint on the front). Plus, I really don't want to decrease visiblility out which is critical at dusk when people may not have their lights on yet, or the vehicle .

You don't have to have a dark tint to limit the heat and UV or limit glare.

Anyway, not to throw a wrench or hijack this thread, but was curious. I've got an appointment tomorrow with a shop that, among others, sells 3M automotive tints. Their crystal ceramic line stops more UV and IR at almost clear than some of the really dark tints from others, and, they're transparant to RF so they don't affect cellphone or gps (if you're using one inside, like maybe your phone) reception, either as most of the metalic ones do. The dye based stuff is getting more stable, but it tends to change color as it ages; some, much more than others. What might start out a nice grey or silver can take on a purple hue as it ages.