View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ningster View Post
I wonder how long these turbo4 engines will last. I've seen countless bmw NA-6 engines go close to 200k miles. These turbo4s will probably only get past 120k before retiring..
How do people make up such numbers? I have an old turbo four, a puny 1.8T with 170Hp/166lb.ft mated to a 5-speed with such short gearing that it turns around 3300-3400rpm while cruising at 80mph. I am closing on 240K. I don't know if there are countless others, but a number of people have reported 200+K, with a couple having gone past 300K. Typically the rest of the car will start falling apart before the engine does.

These newer 2.0T engines have a decade of R&D over mine.

No matter what people say though, you do have to take extra precautions with turbos, especially if the car is driven hard. Cooling down a little before engine shutoff is a must. And you can't stretch the oil change interval to ridiculous lengths.

But stuff does happens. I found out that a co-worker's 535i had the engine replaced because oil was getting past a ring to make it into turbo, thereby eventually ruining it. At least that's what the dealer told him. They replaced his engine under warranty. So that's one major problem that did not involve fuel pump failure. The reliability track record of the turbo-6 doesn't seem great. Hopefully the 4 will do better.

Will the particular engine in the 328i last a long time? Who knows. Only time will tell. But in principle, if designed well and maintained well, it should.