View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 525i
I was tricked by Sears today - the website said they had the fan clutch wrench and the tool in stock at my store. i walked two miles to the store abd they didn't have ANY 32mm wrenches of any sort whatsoever, much less the other tool. I was SOL and needed to do this today, so I picked up the thinnest adjustable wrench I could find. I wanted a slide wrench, which would have made it even thinner, buy they had nothing that opened to 32mm (there was a tag that said "see sales associate" but the sales associate said that means its out of stock - she even suggested I order it... why would I go to a store to order something online? I could have done that in my underwear at home!)

ANYWAYS...

All they had that was thin enough was a 10 inch adjustable wrench. I said some prayers and placed it in the fan clutch nut and began to apply pressure. It slid in without touching the surrounding components, I heard the nut break free and that was it - fan is coming off! I imagine it would be even easier with a longer wrench - I had just enough room to get mu two fore fingers and thumb on it. The wrench cost me 18 bucks. Maybe if you aready have a thin wrench it might not be necessary to buy a special tool - just make sure your not forcing it in the space.