View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Honestly, I'm on my second Beemer and my girlfriend has one as well. As a first bike don't buy a new one! Seriously; you WILL drop it, and the newer it is the more heartache it will cause (ask me about the day I picked up my K1600GT if you want to cry a little...)

My girlfriend's bike is a 2004 F650CS which is a fun little bike. Hers has a lower seat and lowering links on the suspension because she's short... but even I enjoy getting out on that thing occasionally. It has plenty of power on the highway, but has a smooth power band that doesn't come on too quickly in the throttle. Too easy to bounce off the rev limiter though Little single-cylinder keeps maintenance costs down, and the bike's taken a couple of spills with only broken turn signals... hey, it's her first bike! Very similar engine is in the G650GS. I've also heard great things about the twin-cylinder F650GS... obviously smoother than the "thumper"

Going a bit bigger, GS's are seminal in my opinion. I really did love my R1150GS, but in truth it just didn't suit my riding all that well. The engine had plenty of torque, had a smooth throttle control and felt great at low to middling speeds. However, on the highway it was a bit odd to me. The wide handlebars meant the bike was twitchy at speed, and even more annoying was the fact that 6th gear was so incredibly tall that I had to downshift at 60mph when going uphill or the engine detonated horribly. Passing was also something that needed planning to downshift and settle the bike first.

The current "big bike" in the lineup is of course the K1600GT(L). I must admit I've only had the bike a week and I am loving it. BMW of course do inline 6's like nobody else... and to put one in a bike is genius. Smoothest engine I've ever ridden in my life... but there are quirks and it IS expensive.

What are you looking at? Price? Power? New? Used?
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net