View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Yep, took two days to do a software upgrade on our 528 as well. They have to download the software for the whole vehicle and reinstall it, not just one module. The whole thing comes as one big ole package. It crapped out the first time thus the run over into the second day.
The smart and efficient way to handle this would be to "pre-load" and ECU with the most up to date set up and then hot swap them out with dealers as necessary.

We do this all the time with computer systems. We ghost a "build' and then have several HD's ready for failure time. When we do an updated or new build we simply update the firmware chips or HD's. Again...engineering 101. It takes me no more than 30 minutes to replace an entire channel if it goes down. And this consists of thousands of lines of code and another 3,000 song titles plus.

It is more cost efficient in so many ways it is ridiculousness that BMW doesn't do this. I know high school AV departments that have this as SOP. I would be embarrassed to say I work for that division of BMW.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-02-2012 at 09:40 PM.