View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Thanks for coming up with that name. Your brain is more tuned to this stuff than a dilettante like me.

Two things come to mind (regarding the price). 1) This is partly a result of BMW NA deciding to not fix/rebuild things that break, but to just replace them with new/reconditioned parts (transmission for instance.) 2) Be glad you don't have an NSX. My pump/valving went at around 50K miles, but the dealership/Acura decided to do a goodwill repair since I had had the brake fluid changed at the dealer every 15K miles as suggested. The part alone was $2500.
I have that company on speed dial.
ABS modules are very complex pieces of machinery and how much can be done depends on the design. Some have sub-modules for the electronics, the motor/pump, and the valves. Those are the ones which can usually be selectively rebuilt depending on where the work is needed. As a result cost is lower.
In my experience, properly rebuilt units are as good as or better than the originals since the failure prone parts are replaced with modified (improved) parts.