BMW ActiveE Car Share in SF
Source Yahoo Finance
The luxury automaker has brought its DriveNow program to San Francisco, California with the service opening up for business at the end of June. While there have been programs around the country where you could rent a luxury car for a few hours or a day (and yes, Zipcar has luxury cars), BMW is the first luxury automaker to run its own car sharing operation here in the U.S.
Here's how DriveNow works:
- 70 ActiveE electric cars are available for hourly rental
- Parked at 9 garages in the San Francisco area
- Licensed drivers over 21 may rent the cars
- $12/half-hour with each additional driving minute costing $.32
- $90 for an entire day up to 180 miles
Next time I'm in SF, I will try this just so I can drive one. I wish they had
this program for all of their cars. In fact, I wish all luxury manufacturers offered
something like this. For a couple of hundred I could test drive the car for several
hours to make sure it's what I want (especially in terms of long range comfort
which I can't do on a regular test drive).
2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 45K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Last edited by tim330i; 07-06-2012 at 02:43 PM.