View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528xi
Talking 2008 528xi LCI-Halogen - AE and HID upgrade

Hey guys,

This is going to be the first thread I start so be nice!

I recently got my 2008 528xi and I've been loving the way it drives and handles so I thought I'd start investing into the looks of my car. The first mod I decided to do was to upgrade the lights.

After much research through this forum, I found out that Angel Eye upgrade for LCI-halogens is not easy to find a plug and play. The socket does not match if you just purchase any AE bulb. In order to get LED angel eyes for this car you must must modify the LED bulb such that it uses the socket from the stock AE bulb. This isn't very straight-forward so I purchased mine from John@Motorcepts. SHOUTOUT TO JOHN!

Here is a picture of an Mtec V3 bulb modified by John with correct socket:

I think he used silicone to seal and ensure socket will stay put. It worked out well during installation. All I had to do was remove the headlight housing so that my arm had room to properly secure the bulbs in place. AFter that it turned on like a charm!

Now onto the HIDs!

I also purchased these from John@Motorcepts because everyone seems to reference him for lighting needs

The only tricky parts about this install were:

1. The stock metal bracket that holds the bulb had to be cut so that I can get it fed around the wires for my HIDs. This was scary at first but using a dremel it wasn't so bad..

2. Finding locations for the ballasts.

I used zip ties and industrial velcro on each side to make sure that these stay put and don't rattle around.

Left side:

Right side:

After that it was again plug and play with no errors in idrive.

Looks great!

I love driving at night now so I can show off the lights. The beam line comes out well and after testing with some friends doesn't seem to bother them when they are oncoming into my lights any more than normal headlights.

My next mod will probably be the M5 style spoiler and some carbon fiber decals
Any suggestions for exterior mods?

Cheers!

Last edited by daniel4x3; 07-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Advertisement