Another wrinkle in the iPod Out vs. Snap In Cradle: This Wednesday, BMW is announcing a brand new iDrive hardware/software setup for F30's being built starting in November 2012.
The new system is expected to have:
• Streamlined radio/media menu structure
• Improved navigation submenu structure
• Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
• Weather information in navigation map
• POI enrichment*
• GoogleTM autocomplete*
* requires BMW Assist Convenience Plan.
• Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
• 1Gb RAM vs 512Mb
• 8Gb flash vs 512Mb
• Nvidia graphics vs Fujitsu
• 200Gb harddisk vs 80Gb
As a July-build FY13 I'm not thrilled that I'm missing out on the new tech by a mere 90 days but I'm not waiting on it.