07-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Join Date: Feb 2012
Mein Auto: 545i
1. Water pipe under valley pan is a definite worry. O-ring glued onto pipe goes bad. If there is coolant in the oil it will look a little milky or you can have the oil tested at lab in a couple of days. Neither method will work if the oil has been changed recently. Water pipe leak will drain out of engine weep hole on front side.
Originally Posted by foxvader
Things I have found on the forums so far that I should look for or ask about....
1. Coolant system leaking a the V of the V8. Check the oil for signs of coolant
How do I do that??
2. Ask for a software upgrade
Is there a way to check this through the CCC? What is the latest
3. Ask to have the spark plugs replaced now at 84,000 since they need done soon and since the dealer can just do it before I buy. Opinions
4. Get a new Navigation DVD "navteq 2012 dvd pro"
Any other quick ones anybody can think of?
Also, please give me your advice if you have a 2005 545i with 84000 or higher miles. I just read lots of stuff on the forums and I have to say now I am worried/scared of buying this car. Lots have said it is unreliable and has lots of problems. It drove amazing today at the BMW dealer and the service records (all done at the dealer) looked good. I didn't see anything worrisome on the list except for steering sensors.
Thoughts please and thanks!!
2. Don't worry about what is the latest software - just tell them to update it.
3. Plugs should be done now (just did mine at 81K miles - a real DIY PITA but made a big difference).
4. If you can squeeze new NAV DVD out of them all the better. Depends how old the existing one is and how much you use it. Pick your battles.
Additional - Look for leaks, leaks, leaks - Timing cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, alternator bracket gasket, oil pressure switch gasket. Thrust arm bushings in front suspension are common at that age. Check age of battery. Mechatronics sealing sleeve leak on trans. Any sign of hard shifting. Have a close look at both the steering rack and anti roll stabilization unit - leaks aren't real common but very expensive to fix.
The 545i is a monster to drive. I love mine (2004 - 83K miles).
If it is really clean inside and out they should be asking $14.5K - $15.5K
Much more and I would keep looking.