View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GX5 View Post
2006 X5
I know nothing about the X5 so take anything I ever say with a grain of salt.

Given BMW shares components, and assuming when you say 'trifecta' you mean the brake/abs/dsc lights (or X5 equivalents), then the recommendations for you would be the same as for anyone else with an E38 or E39 or E46, etc.

1. Get out a good DMM and a thin wire and test the wheel speed sensors for consistency. If any are off from the rest, then test them closer to the wheel. If all test good, move to the next step.

2. Get out a good sharp utility knife and toothpick and slice open the ABS control module. Probe the 7th silvered wire (plenty of pictures on this forum) to see if it lifted off its gold bondpad.

3. If it lifted, either reaffix it yourself (not easy to do) or tape it all up and ship it to the top three rebuilders for them to reaffix it. If they can't reaffix the wire, they'll give you options.

4. If all else fails (this is only a small percentage of the time), then buy a new ABS control module for about $400 and change (see the thread on where to get 'em).

Total cost for diagnostics: Roughly about fifty to a hundred dollars for a good DMM (if you don't own one already).
Total time for diagnostics: Roughly about an hour or three, in toto, from start to finish (the initial test takes only a few minutes).

Last edited by bluebee; 07-10-2012 at 11:36 AM.