View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I am not as worked up about this as you as long as they don't ruin the driving experience (which they have with some recent models).

While we are on this topic, how about their stupid 3xx/5xx/6xx/7xx/8xx designation deviation, where "xx" used to mean the engine displacement numbers, not what some marketing guy thought is good for sales numbers.

The whole "sDrive" and "xDrive" designation is also not very well thought out... so what are they going to call the rumored FWD model?
BMW has drifted from the literal motor size designation for a long time. The N52/N54 motors made this a necessity, since they both displace three liters. So, the E90 325, 328, 330 and 335 all have motors that displace three liters, but all have different performance specs.

I don't know why they've bothered with "sDrive". But, "xDrive" actually makes sense, because, for marketing purposes, they needed a name for customers to identify with the way Audi has Quattro. Albeit, Quattro is a much cooler sounding name than xDrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
fDrive
My thoughts exactly. Probably an appropriate name as well as the extraneous names the "f" would undoubtedly inspire.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **