View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
So my list of negatives on the X1 is growing rather than shrinking. No MT. No diesel until next year. Now no normal repairable tires as needed in ski backcountry.

It's almost as if BMW is TRYING to get me to stay with MT+TDI+normal_high_mpg_tire VW/Audi! Nuts!
So, you want a diesel, all-wheel drive, manual-transmission, reasonably compact car/SUV? You *must be* European! The reality is that we are a really niche audience here in the US.

I live in a dense city, but I have an outdoorsy lifestyle where I regularly take my car off-roading on National Forest Service roads backpacking or x-country skiing. I only drive manual transmission cars and my car needs to be small enough to parallel park in Seattle and San Francisco. What does that leave me with?

VW Golf R: AWD, manual, sporty and reasonably priced. But low ground clearance and limited availability
VW GTI: Manual, sporty, and reasonably priced. But front-wheel drive and low ground clearance.
Audi A3: Quattro OR manual, but not both. Low ground clearance.
BMW X3: Auto only.
BMW X1: Auto only.
Audi Q5: Auto only.
Audi A4: Too big for the city.
BMW 3 series: Too big for the city.
Mini Countryman: I'm 6'2" 185lbs and I'm too tall. Doesn't fit enough gear for four people to go backpacking.

So, I'm keeping my 2006 BMW X3 3.0i manual, m-sport for as long as it will continue to run. There are simply no great options on the market today regardless of price.

James
San Francisco, CA and Seattle, WA