View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW220i View Post
I break in the car for a full 2500 mi. It is painful.

I do extreme break in, like a granny driving except varying speeds and nothing fast. This is for the first 500 miles.

I continue to 1000 miles with a modified granny driving. That means up to the speed limit but nothing sudden and varying the speeds a lot.

Up to 2500 mi., I still to it.

Part of break in is also not to lug the engine if you have a manual. I don't do that the first 1000 miles and try not to do it the entire 2500 mi.
Really???

I say follow the manual. These engines are robust and meant to be driven hard. I believe excessive babying does more harm than good. These engines need to be redlined occasionally to keep them limber. Think about this. In 1000 miles how many times does each piston go up and down? How many revs the rods bearing have seen? How many gallons of gas have been pumped through the fuel pump? How many heat up/cool down cycles in that time period. See what I am getting at? I believe that most of the real breakin occurs in the first 2-300 miles.

You are missing a lot of fun miles in a brand new car when you baby it excessively.