View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSVX3 View Post
Hi all,

On Friday July 27 I was slowly pulling into my driveway and suddenly my 2007 BMW X3 took off. I managed to steer all the way, missed the wall, hit a tree, drove on my neighbour's lawn and barely missed her SUV (minor scratches to the rear bumper). Finally I used the emergency brake, put it in neutral and turned the car off to stop it while the engine was still reving high. I had my foot on the brake hence the tire marks on my driveway. A simple search on internet reveals other similar incidents. I have posted a few pictures.

Best,
Wow, glad you are okay and that you didn't hit the house!

Regardless of whether or not your vehicle exhibited "unintended acceleration" (a term, interestingly enough, that also fits when someone hits the incorrect pedal), the brakes on the X3 are stronger than the engine's output at the wheels something required by U.S. law.

Those tire marks in the driveway appear to be from a sharply turned wheel turning under power, not a skidding wheel (BMW's have ABS, so skids are more frequently sideways).

Did you take you BMW to the dealer? I'd have it towed immediately, so they can download the engine codes.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!