View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Bavarian enthusiast

Mein Auto: E83 X3, F25 X3, E90 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchx3 View Post
There is a small hexagonally shaped piece of metal crimped (for lack of a better word) onto the cable. This moves up and down when you raise/lower the window. If you can feel the metal piece going up and down when you activate the switch then your regulator is fine and it's your drive dog (most likely is).

The hexagonal piece fits into the white plastic drive dog. Typically a piece of the drive dog will shear off and the metal piece pops out of the drive dog. I just did mine a couple of weeks ago and that's what happened. You can buy a new drive dog at BMW for around $55. I got copy on ebay for $15.00 which fits and works perfectly.
Okay.

Yeah its hard to see the metal hexagonal piece from that cable. Based on the pictures, I think mine has broken out, but I'll double check before ordering.

I've had bad experiences with Ebay so I'll try ECS tuning. I think they have it for $35 + $10 shipping.

Last question (for now):

How does one separate the glass from the plastic (drive dog)? I feel like I'm going to shatter the glass moving it around.

Should you remove the entire window while replacing it?

Thank you so much for the help!