View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1986 327is
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohnsons54 View Post
Holy shinto. That sounds like some pretty involved custom work. Are you able to explain (in laymen's terms if possible) why all this was necessary? I'm just trying to understand the whole situation and figure out if I might have the same problem. It sounds like the release fork is likely the issue? Apologies for my lack of experience here, but what does threading the pivot pin hole and putting in a set screw accomplish?

Is anyone familiar with a clutch/flywheel combo that will for sure work in ZF swapped e30?

Thanks for your reply....I'm hoping I can sort out the problem in my car without going to quite so much trouble
It's simple, actually, and should have never been done, but we had no idea what the issue was exactly. Everything came as a package out of the e36, tried 2 clutch disks, 2 FW's and 2 PP's.

Take the plastic pivot pin out of the trans case. Drill it for a 10mm thread, tap it, then put in a 10mm set screw (has allen key hole on end) and thread it in place of the plastic pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john@eac View Post
I have installed hundreds of clutches through the years and once I had a bad pressure plate that caused the problem. I replaced the master and slave because it just couldn't be that brand new pressure plate. I bled the system and fought it for days. I tried everything that I could think of, twice, the parts looked fine but that was the last thing that I did. After I replaced it with another that looked the same it worked. I still dont no why but nothing else changed. I wish you the best of luck.
Yeah this is the first time I was stumped. We have a small shop that specializes in BMW's, primarily e30's and have done plenty of swaps with ZF and Getrag, m20 clutches, 24v clutches etc etc. Still to this day don't know what the issue was. the only thing that changed from the e36 was the clutch master, but not convinced that was it either.

Anyways the car this thread is about worked flawlessly after the pin was made adjustable, went the Sebring Raceway for a long weekend of thrashing and has since changed ownership and is driving around fine today.

you would think, "Hey I'm taking this engine/trans and putting in this car as is, all should be well.", but that wasn't this case

The 1986 325es Delphin project LINK

Project 1988 325i sedan "Pinky" LINK