View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Hey guys (not that I was friends with anyone in the first place) I am back now. Needless to say that my car has been on the back burner forever! I am now getting back to it finally! However the M10 is still in pieces and still hasnt made its way to the shop to be cleaned and looked over.

I have done a "little" bit of research and have decided that if a M10 will still power this car, it will just be easier and more cost effective for me to just buy a used M10 and throw it in. However if I buy a used engine I was thinking of swapping in a M20 from a 6 cyl car.

I have read that I need the engine, trans, ECU, driveshaft and mounts from a 6 cyl car. Is this correct? Or am I missing information?

What I am unsure of is what year(s) are compatible with my car. For instance, can I use a m20 from a '91 325i or does it have to come from a 87? or 86 if they were around then?

Also would I need to swap in other pieces from a 6 cyl car? Things like the radiator, A/C system, P/S?

Sorry for the questions and for my very little amount of research. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks

P.S. I am not looking for a fight or pointless arguing, just looking for some solid help. Thanks.