Thread: Z3 Roadster (E36/7) Roadster Rear Window Replacement
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Windows are tedious, but not hard. There are a number of walk-throughs floating around on the net. I would say the best hint I can give you is to lay a blanket across your trunk, remove your antenna from the base, and lay the window on the blanket with the inside surface up. That way you can fold out the bottom of the zipper in the top and get it started without working inside the car. Be careful about putting too much weight on the trunk lid/trim panel there because it's easy to get small dents from your weight.

When you start the zipper, start it going to your right (toward the passenger side of the car) and work it around in a counter-clockwise direction (looking from the back of the car). A lot of people have started the zipper in the wrong direction and when they got to the portion that overlaps they realized it and had to start all over again. Also, come up with a way to temporarily cinch together the starting end of the zipper while you're zipping the window in so that your starting point doesn't pull apart on you while you're working (hemostats?). Another tip to help with starting the zipper is if the fabric for the section in the top is too flimsy you can soak it with a little bit of super glue at the starting point to firm it up.

Another gotcha is if the thread holding the zipper into the top starts coming loose. Mine did and I ended up getting some Coates and Clarke Outdoor Living thread (designed for upholstering outdoor furniture) and restitching the entire length of zipper. It was much cheaper than a new top since the top itself had plenty of life left in it. It was really, really tedious though...

If that is something you might think about doing, let me know as I can give you some hints on the process. Good luck!

Last edited by dkindig; 08-04-2012 at 12:37 PM.