View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to xclone
Mein Auto: 2008 535iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwhusky View Post
Just out of relative curiosity, what are the rough estimates on cost for each of these mods?

Intercooler?

Downpipe?

Catback exhaust?
There are not many makers for 5 series parts so your selection is limited. Even though the 3 series has the same engine, all 3 of the above parts are different.

CP-E is the only company I know of that has a confirmed fit in a 5 series for an Intercooler. It's about $800 and expect $400 for the install. You WILL need their oil cooler or have a shop good enough that can fabricate a bracket to move the OEM oil cooler.

AR Design is, again, the only company I know of with a verified fit for a 5 series. You can expect to pay about $1000 for catless, or $1300 for race catted DP's. Install on these things are a huge pain. Expect a 5 hour install at about $500 or so. You also need to check out your local emissions policies to figure out which is the best direction for you to go. Catless gives you a little more power but its stinky. If you have a sniffer emissions policy you'll probably fail it. Our cars have two sets of cats as well. If you go catless, you'll need to get the O2 simulators so you don't have a contant CE light.

Catback exhaust - there are a couple of options out there, most above $1000. I got a magnaflow I am happy with. $800 and the install was cheap $150. I had them remove my secondary cats (so I am running one set of race cats) but the O2 sensor is right after the race cat, so removing the secondary cats will not cause you an issue with the computer, but it could cause issues with emissions.