View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Mostly Euro sedans
No, actually I wasn't aware of that. I've bought about 7-8 European cars/SUVs in the past 15 years or so and all but the M3 (my only BMW) had a rear fog light. They all had the blanks for fog lights on both sides (due to right hand vs. left hand drive configurations) but only activated the light on the driver's side. The reason has to due with research done by Fulcrum Insurance and Mercedes as I recall and what they found was that in heavy fog when a driver runs up on the rear of a slow or stopped car their natural inclination is to do an emergency swerve into the opposite lane (the one on the driver's side) so in having a single fog light on that side the potential rear end collision is avoided as someone swings around and misses the slow/stopped car (hopefully not having a head-on with someone else.)

As I recall they found that two fog lights were less effective (don't know why - maybe it just gives you a few more seconds of indecision before you plow into the slow/stopped car or you're more likely to think they're tail-lights? Not sure why but the numbers showed a single light was more effective which is why Volvo, Saab, etc. only use one.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyandRich View Post
BMW uses both rear lights as fogs, as you probably know..

Having several years driving in the UK, I'm personally fine with having two lights.

I get that other brands use one light, which is fine also.

Either way, the point is to be seen so you don't get rear ended.