View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchx3 View Post
.... I do understand that they are in business to make money but replacing parts unnecessarily just to drive the cost up is completely unethical.
Hasn't this always been a basic tenet of automotive service? - replace the whole assembly if taking it apart to replace just the failed component takes more time.

Or, do it to reduce the chance of the customer having to come back because the rest of the assembly may be quite worn and contributed to the individual item failure?

Doing it just to drive up the cost to the customer unfortunately does happen at times, but I'm not sure that is the case here.

For example, Audi A4/S4 owners seem to have it even worse:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Regulator-Woes

As I understand it, replacement of just the X3's plastic drive dog was not even possible for the first few years because no one sold that part separately.

It was, I believe, partly through the foresight and innovation of contributors to this and other user forums that BMW made the part available.

Until then, some owners tried repairing the drive dog or fabricating their own.

I have read here that some BMW dealers still don't sell or even stock the drive dog - that may be because they are just not up-to-date and don't know about it, or they don't want to be bothered.

I agree that the latter category doesn't deserve our patronage for anything.

Aftermarket drive dogs are now available, and work fine according to this forum.

Some feel that plastic parts like that have a life expectancy of about 10 years at most.
Don't know if that is true, but when the time comes that I have to do mine, I sense that I should make sure other parts of the window mechanism are up to snuff before having a beer.