View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Any SUV or Crossover will feel safe, but they are actually safer.

Years ago I was broadsided by a sedan, the only reason I still walk on Earth today is because at the time, I was driving an SUV.
The bigger a vehicle, the more weight and mass you have. In a battle of physics, the larger vehicle "wins". I think that statistically, a driver in an SUV is more likely to survive an accident, while at the same time is also more likely to kill the other person! Honestly, I think I'd rather drive a well-rated car and take my risk against other people in SUVs than have the chance that my choice of vehicle killed someone else. I couldn't live with that.

I also think that SUVs are more likely to get in an accident in the first place due to their higher center of gravity, more weight to slow/stop, reduced handling ability, etc. A cousin of mine slid on ice, hit a curb and rolled her SUV over into a ditch totaling it. She claims it saved her life and ran out to get another. But my feeling is if she had the same skid in a car and hit the curb, the most she would have done was bend up the wheels or gotten stuck in the snowbank.

But all the talk about the SUV is getting off-topic. Sounds to me like she wants a large muscle car.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon