Thread: Test drive
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
After feeding off this forum for past 5 years, I feel its about time to start making contribution.

I test drove two different X1 (both xdrive28i) at different dealers. The first one I test drove was right after I drove the X3. The difference in handling and responsiveness was night and day between X3 and X1. The X1 drives almost as good as my 3 series for obvious reasons. Before I test drove either car, I was dead set on buying X3, as I was opposed to the smaller interior and lack of cargo space in the X1. After I drove both the cars, I could not get myself to like X3 any more. Granted it has more room, is the best in its class, smoother ride, etc. etc. But, if I wanted a comfortable ride, I would rather buy a lexus. Anyways, so I started thinking about options and even considered going for 2013 3 Series.

So, I went back to another dealership and test drove the new 3 series and the X1 again. Now I must admit, the 3 series drives better than X1 and has slightly more room on the inside(atleast it seems like it). However, X1 with almost similar driving characteristic and given the roads in new jersey plus the winter in north east makes it a very appealing choice. Then I started looking at the pricing of both the vehicles. After adding all the options, the difference in price for a 3 series and X1 was considerable (atleast for me). So, now I am almost close to pulling a trigger on X1. All of a sudden, X1 doesn't look all that small anymore.

Additional Comments:-
a) It doesnt matter if u call it a station wagon, suv or a cross over. The car looks pretty good from most angles.
b) It is definitely not a family SUV and people lookin for a sports activity are better sticking with X3 or X5.
c) People who prefer the hatchbacks and want a higher ground clearance, yet do not want the boxy swaying SUVs should definitely consider X1.
d) If having a decent space in the rear is number one priority then dont even consider X1.
e) Yes, its looks much smaller in person than it does in pictures.
f) The start/stop is much more refined than what I expected to from reading all the posts.

Let me know if you have any questions. Will be happy to answer.

Last edited by Talisker; 08-10-2012 at 05:40 PM.