View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 750Li and '08 FEH
Starting Our Search for a new 7

Hello! We are in Vegas and own an 06 750Li we have had for about 15 months. Prior that we bought a 06 3 series new and drove it for 5 years. Sold the 3 for the 7 (about a $10K upgrade cost with similar miles and year - so not too bad).

However, ever since I had a 2009 730d rental in Germany 3 years ago I have been dieing for the new 7. So we are starting our search. I am willing to be very patient to find exactly what we want. We were not as patient as we could have been for our current 7 and I am now regretting that.

That said, I am starting to compile a list of options on the 7 and I would love to understand how to figure out if the car has the option and what the impact/functionality of the option is. Attached is a window sticker I found for a 09 7 that seems to be fully loaded. It is also for sale here with additional pictures. Options listed are (and how I think you can determine if the car has the option (from pictures only)):
- Camera Pkg (rear/side view): This puts a small camera in front of each front wheel on the fender. Also looks like it puts a camera button on the center console to the left of the shifter.
- Conv Pkg: Same as my 2006, auto tail gate, easy close doors and keyless access
- Driver Asst Pkg: Lane Departure Warning, Auto High Beams and Blind spot detection (my rent car has this and it was awesome). This puts the warning triangle on the inside of the front mirrors. Is the Blind spot detection a standalone option? Does this also put 3 buttons on the left side of the dash by the headlights control?
- Lux Seating Pkg: Heated steering wheel, power side/rear shades, Active Driver seat, Front cooled seats, ski bag and rear heated seats. I think this is the same as 2006 except for the heated steering wheel. I'm looking for the buttons on the driver door for the shades, and the active seat (I think it is to the right of the M-1-2 buttons, what is to the left?) and of course the seat cooling button on the A/C control panel.
- Rear Lux Seating Pkg: Rear cooled/comfort seats. Not sure how to see this other than noticing the seats a much nicer. Does this put extra controls on the rear center console (on the inside seat sides)?
- Premium Sound Pkg: Adds Ipod/USB Adapter, Premium hi-fi (is this similar to Logic7?) and adds a 6 disk DVD changer. Does this work like Ford Sync where all the Ipod songs would be uploaded and controlled from the idrive? Also, this adds a DVD changer. Without the Rear entertainment package would this only make CDs usable or does this allow the front seat passengers to watch DVDs?
- Rear Entertainment Pkg: Puts the DVD screens on each seat - easy to see. What should I be looking for accessory wise? There should be 2 wireless headphones and a remote control, right?
- Sport Pkg: 19 inch wheels, Active Steering with sport leather steering wheel, Shadowline trim and roof trim the same as the body color. Easy to see from the outside, window trim is black instead of silver. Is this a 100% of the sport pkg as shadowline trim wasn't a standalone option that year correct? Is the roof trim a better indicator? Also what is the impact of active steering?
- Ceramic Controls: Seems tough for me to tell the difference.
- Active Cruise: This will put 2 additional buttons on the left side of the steering wheel and one button on the left dash. Rent car also had this and we loved it, though it took a little while to get used to.
- Smart Phone Integration: Not sure how to spot or what it does.
- Night Vision: I think this adds the camera behind the left grill. Now sure though how to spot. Is this option worth it at $2600?
- HUD: Not sure how to spot this.
- Sat Radio: Is there any way to spot this without the car on?

So, as with all bimmers, lots of options available. What ones do you guys value the most? What would be nice to haves but you could go without?

If it matters, we generally just road trip our 7 and put about 6-7K miles per year on it. My wife sits in the back with our infant and I drive on the open road. I think she would love the rear entertainment and comfort seats and our kids as we get older would love it too. We plan on keeping this 7 for quite a while. The 2006 7 was just a stepping car for us until the 2009 7s got into the price range we want.

Thanks for all the inputs - I know this was long and had a lot of questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	336296  

Retired:
2006-2011 2006 325i
Ads by Google