View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Can you explain how in certain situations it's not safe for the car or driver? I can see this only if it does not perform as designed. I've been driving my wife's Honda Insight Hybrid for 3 years with this feature and never felt unsafe.
Hybrids are different, the accelaration from a stop is powered by batteries, one get power before the engine starts. On the ASS system, there is like a 1/2 second delay when one let go of the brakes til the engine generate power. Theoretically, if a semi is racing toward you, you have a 1/2 less time to get out of the way, but the chance of the ASS system being a safety hazzard in any situation is very slim to say the least.
My wife use to have a hybrid as well and I am quite use to driving hybrids, the ASS system is like second nature to me. There are times when I know I need instant accelaration, thats when I push the ASS off button or most of the time, I shift into DS mode. There is a slight learning curve as to how to drive a car with the ASS system. I think most people simply do not give it enough time to adjust. I must admit, If I have a choice of shutting off my ASS system, I am not so sure I would.