View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
It is a disappointment that BMW is not a leader in safety as they had been considered back in the 1970's and 1980's. Safety should be a top priority for a premier European brand trying to justify high sticker prices. I think BMW and other car manufacturers have decided that their prime focus should be on adding invasive and needless technologies, and gas savings to boost sales as opposed to safety as their prime objective.

I think we will see more structural weaknesses as car companies use more weight savings components for better MPG. And, if the European car companies keep going down these paths, what is going to separate them from the Toyotas of the world who offer features without solid foundations?
Really?

Toyota currently has 11 models, from small to large, which are IIHS top safety picks.

Toyota also has, and has had for many many years, one of the highest predictable reliability scores of any automaker, by just about any measure (JD Power, Consumer Reports, TrueDelta, take your pick)

How can you say Toyota vehicles don't have solid foundations?

They are as safe, if not safer, than BMWs and are much more reliable.

Its not like BMW is anything special when it comes to safety.

Of course you can't compare driving dynamics/pleasure between Toyota and BMW, but please don't imply that Toyota makes crappy cars with lousy foundations, because that's simply not true.