View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA View Post
I've driven up that road a couple times. Higher up, the road isn't paved and isn't nearly as wide. Kinda spooky in a regular car, can't imagine racing up it.
I hear that on the way down they have checkpoints where they stop you, read the temp of your brakes with an IR gun, and depending on what it reads, they make you wait until they cool down. Did you experience these checkpoints?

For those that are interested, here are a couple vids of the record holder (overall, any vehicle, broke it this year) driving up it. These though are from when he set the 2wd record a few years ago. The first is the edited, abridged, Hollywood/MTV version. The second is from the front of the car only, with the smaller window showing mostly steering wheel. You get some occasional asphalt screeching, but the best parts imo are when the nose is pointed extremely inward to the turn, during the drifts. You can listen to him repeatedly blip the throttle, and sometimes make out the car repeatedly going closer to the edge, and away from, during the very same turn with his throttle blips.

My friend, and sort of my mechanic, got a ride with him in a truck, and he said he was drifting in it like it was totally normal, carrying on a normal conversation, and my friend was freaking out, lol.

They race everything up there, bicycles, running on two feet, even semi tractor trailers!! Ok, in the third video, it looks like the same person in the OP Evo crash, Jeremy Foley, was riding with the current semi record holder when they had (a much more mild) crash into a Pikes guardrail (so apparently they do exist, eh).

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 08-15-2012 at 03:10 PM.