View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Geez. Thanks for the reply, I wonder what they're particularly looking for with a visual. Do rotors get some particular sheen, discoloration, or something right before failure, I'm just wondering.
I drove the Peak last year. I have a healthy respect for the trek as I lost a good friend and her dad to the Peak in 1978. She was killed while thrown around the cabin lacking a seat belt much less child seats. Her dad went through the canvas top and snapped his neck. Their mother lived alone next door with her sheep dog until she moved.

They have a checkpoint (only one) mid mountain (downhill) or so. They throw an IR temp sensor at your rotors and will 'sternly suggest' that you pull to the side to let them cool.

Some jackwagon in an Audi passed me and my rental Mustang within a few turns of the peak. When we got to the check point, he was waved off. The ranger (or whatever) shot my rotors and said, "98 degrees. Good job. Really good job."

Jackwagon bought his girl some treats while I headed to celebratory Rudy's BBQ near the base.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 08-15-2012 at 09:49 PM.