Thread: OT-Nauti Girl
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Cool story and interesting link for the art and I can relate to both but not any of the medical issues. My mother was/is still a local artist working primarily with water color media but can do most anything. Like you, I grew up around water from the time I was born (have photo's of me on a 22' century power boat when I was 3 months old) but never got involved with sailing until a buddy of mine bought a windsurfer when I was around 12 years old. We'd sail that thing all over and then my dad bough me and my brother a sandshark which was a 12' boat with a TON of sail area (for it's size) 115' of main & Jenny. We rigged hiking lines up to the top of the mast and prayed for approaching storms so that we could take her out and run her HARD! We later had a 16' hobie (you can see it's yellow hulls on the other side of the dock in the picture of my restoration project Hydro around the time I was 16). The hydro you see in that photo was where I got my exposure to restoring a boat. It had been a Guiness world record holder of around 98MPH on an alky engine back in the 60's that was previously owned by a friend of my dad's from his hydro racing days, Henry Shakeshaft. It had been decommissioned and hung on the wall of Henry's shop for something like 15 years when my dad brought it home and announced that he had a "project" for me to work on during the summer. Restoring a 125 lbs of deteriorated Mahongony. I stripped it down and rebiult the transom and we picked up a pair of 60's vintage heads and a modern 70's lower unit. That hydro could flat out FLY!... literally and that is one of the reasons I sold it, it was a bit TOO kitey. When I had finished the restoration, we used the original name on the side... mighty flighty.

webpic of sandshark

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)