View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
I took a closer look at this in the hope of finding something. I did. Check out the videos of the two cars that did well and compare them to the videos of say the 3 and A4. Look at the Acura TL video. The car basically gets the side shaven off and continues on forward. With the 3, it basically comes to a complete stop then bounces off a little to end up sideways. In other words, the 3 takes a very nasty hit compared to the much softer blow of the TL. But why? One could argue that the TL is better designed. Or that the hit didn't catch its cabin cage while it did for the 3. In other words, if the hit was another inch or two more outside, the 3 might have fared the same way as the TL, or if the hit was another inch or two more inside, the TL might have been demolished in the same way as the 3. This is speculation, but the video is very clear that the impacts were not of the same nature, whereas there is no such difference for full frontal or even moderate offset crashes. That, along with the fact the they seem to imply different key observations for the two A4 crashes, leads me to believe that we are too close to a structural threshold with the 25% offset to make comparisons meaningful (i.e. offsets of say 22% or 27% could produce very different results). I would make much, if anything, from this particular test.