View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with your fuses and relays. If any of those were bad, you wouldn't have lights at all. OP - The lights are just dim to begin with so it's not just you. Many people "upgrade" to the Euro smileys with HID bulbs and ballasts. I'm just going to try the HID bulbs first in the US spec ellipsoid headlights to see how much of an improvement it is over halogens. If it's not any better, then maybe the change to the smileys will result in better light output. DDM tuning claims 3200 lumens in their HID kit. I haven't had any experience with them or their kit yet but they have a lifetime warranty. Their reviews have been somewhat mixed.
Please read this before buying or installing converted hid bulbs in housings not made for them. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

I recently purchased and installed a used set of halogen euro smileys for my car. It came stock with what are known as the "free forms" around here, awful lights by any measure. I can tell you that the euro smileys with halogen bulbs are really all you need as far as a lighting upgrade. I recently did an all nighter across country and found that with the new lights, I almost never felt necessary to use the high beams. I was not over driving the lights even at 80-90 mph. This is even prior to finding a set of +50 halogen bulbs. Huge improvement, huge.

If you want the blue look, well, then actual lighting isn't your concern and best of luck with the hid's.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5

Last edited by snowsled7; 08-22-2012 at 05:06 AM.