View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOZZ View Post
Hi

I previously complained about my E83 eating batteries. I am taking it in to another BMW shop next week. It will be interesting. I bought a cutout switch and put it on the negative terminal of the battery. I found it cheap on Ebay but it does not fit really well. Both terminals are too big.

I found out something interesting though. Many of the auto stores will sell you a 48 battery. The 49 battery fits like the stock battery, has a lot more cranking amps, and is the same price. I bought the Bosch from Pep Boys for $110 with a 3 year full refund and 96 month pro-rated.

I am cussing BMW engineers daily for designing a car that eats batteries. $(*#&(@(@&!!!!!!!
They are not supposed to do that. I'm not saying you don't have an issue that's draining your battery but it could be from short trips. My car sat in a parking garage for 9 days while we were on a cruise and it started like it had been run yesterday. If you can I suggest putting your car on a maintainer occasionally. I have the BMW unit that works like a dream. You also may be a good candidate for an AGM battery. At replacement time I'm going with a Deka 9AGM49. My X3 came with a group 49 battery from the factory. I have the 600 watt cooling fan, heated seats and heated steering wheel. I'm assuming that's why it has the 49 and not the 48.

The attached picture from my rear hatch light override switch project shows the bigger OE battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X3 Hatch Switch.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	338689  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RA AGM battery.pdf (168.5 KB, 94 views)