View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Blacker View Post
My sunroof works if just opening/closing, but if I press to tilt, that's when the whole sunrrom stops working, and must be closed manually. I just bought my x3 (2004) with this problem. If I continue to just open/close vs tilting, will I be ok?
I believe the mechanism to open/close vs. vent (tilt) is different, so it's conceivable to continue using the operable function. But where these panorama roofs are concerned, it seems like just a matter of time before one or both functions fail...

On a related but somewhat separate topic: when I vent my roof with the interior shade closed, and the interior shade separates in the middle to allow the ventilation, I get an unpleasantly loud 'popping' noise from the front of the shade, like something is sticking. It seems to happen pretty frequently, particularly when the roof has been warmed in the sun, and I'm concerned that something in the shade mechanism may be binding (although a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything obvious). The roof itself works fine; this is just the shade making the unpleasant noise. And the shade seems to open/close quietly.

Anybody have any ideas/suggests on things to check? The dealer hasn't been a lot of help here, despite lightly 'tinkering' with (i.e., lubricating) the roof just prior to the expiration of the warranty in July 2011. I went back to them with this issue a few months ago, but their solution was a polite offer to charge me an indeterminate amount of labor to poke around their handiwork in an effort to [hopefully] isolate the cause. I can do that myself, but would appreciate suggestions on a few specific places to look. And who knows? Maybe I can even repair it myself if it's just something misaligned...?

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...