View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Wonder how they would they know the fuel injectors needed cleaning?
They are just looking to sell an unnecessary service and at a premium price too.
If you normally use a brand-name gasoline with good cleaning additives in it,
you probably don't even need your mechanic to add anything at each service.

I guess they would have no way of knowing that your brake fluid had been changed every 2 or so years by your mechanic, so a valid recommendation.
However, way over-priced.
Should be around $150 or less, especially if having other things done at the same time.
They would use their BMW-specific computer to activate the ABS sensors so that all the fluid got refreshed - your mechanic may or may not have the means to do that,
but debatable if that extra step really is necessary when changing fluid on a regular basis.

They could have examined your tires and noted a particular abnormal wear pattern to determine that an alignment should be done.
Or they thought your steering wheel was off center in the straight ahead position.
But I am beginning to think they are just intent on selling you anything they can.
I thought 4 wheel alignments were more like $150 but I have never had one done, on any vehicle, so I am not sure.
But at that price, they should be budgeting time to add weights in the passenger seats according to your usual load, and the cost of any needed shims, etc.
If they didn't do a good job, you could end up paying $250 to have a problem that didn't exist before.

Hope the CPS replacement really was needed and not a stab in the dark on their part.