View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgtexas View Post
My 2009 has the active steering and adaptive drive (The AD was part of the sports package in the early years, before they added the word activity to the package title and made it only cosmetic). For me the active steering went from an 'i don't know what this feature is' when i bought the car to a 'must have.' I quite literally almost can't drive the g/f's 530 with standard BMW steering after acclimating to my car. Just backing out of the driveway takes so many more wheel turns. The AS makes a large SUV feel more nimble and on point than any medium sized car I have ever driven. It feels about like what I suspect people with a mini cooper have when it comes to maneuverability. I can see what you are saying with mid-speed cornering, but overall, to my senses, the tightness and the resistance of the wheel remain about the same through the speed range with the nice BMW characteristic heft or weight to it. At slower speeds though the steering input just takes a much smaller amount of rotation that the results is less work, even though the 'effort' or force required seems to me to be consistent. As I said, to me, its a must have feature now on all future BMW's I may get.

There are more than a few threads on this forum that debate the merits of Active Drive and what all it affects in the suspension (roll vs damping and ride). Having test driven an X6 without and now owning one that has it, I say it does improve the ride while also mitigating roll. Frankly if you are a performance and handling enthusiast, you should pony up to have it when offered. IMHO it is where BMW has put all there development and handling expertise on current BMW models that they have been historically known for. There standard non-dynamic setups are cheaper to keep their lineup prices appealing to the masses only interested in a luxury marquee and a luxury oriented ride. For performance in the twists AD stands out. And AD with the torque vectoring rear end on the X6 make these SUV's dance through corners in ways that have me grinning ear to ear...
Mostly mirror what you're saying. After a couple weeks...
  • Adaptive Drive - Had on '09 and specifically ordered on '13 - still love and would not want to live without
  • Active Steering - LIKE it a lot, but could probably take it or leave it. Don't get me wrong, it is great--practical and useful/usable, but still don't (yet) have the feeling it is a must have item for all future vehicles... If it's already on there or bundled, I'll take it. If it were it's own a-la-carte item at a charge, I might skip unless really low cost. I got it this time since it was the only way to get Adaptive Drive!
  • Oh yeah, torque vectoring rear as standard... I have always thought this was a real differentiator! Has this made it onto the X5 or other BMW models (I don't want to know badly enough to check/research, but just wondering aloud)? Torque Vectoring + XDrive + Adaptive Drive + Active Steering + giant summer performance tires that come on the car does indeed make for the ultimate (system assisted) driving machine!