View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Honestly, this is really disappointing to hear. I was at the forefront of the Cayenne TDI "jump-ship" committee, but after reading this, I really need to take one out and check it out. ( No one has it yet in my area ) I would have expected it to be at least just as fast because it is significantly lighter, but is only down about 25 hp.

I sometimes think that the X5d is loud on the highway, I can't believe the more expensive Porsche is louder.

BMW better not screw up the next X5d, so I'm not forced to spend $$$ on this.
I was not "blown away" with the Cayenne Diesel.

Yes, it is more fuel efficient than the X5, and it handles better... gearing and lightness. Porsche has the S, GTS, Turbo, etc... for those who want speed. The Cayenne Diesel (and Hybrid) are tuned for efficiency... Porsche clearly said so. Also, it uses the less complicated VW all-wheel drive system (50:50 split), not the more expensive Porsche all-wheel drive (variable from 100:0 to 0:100).

FYI - My test car was wearing HUGE wheels/tires, and they contributed significantly to the cabin noise on the Alaskan highways.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!