Thread: Engine Oil Q!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskane View Post
Did the oil change service today using Castrol Edge Titanium 0W40 oil and BMW oil filter after 11K's and the oil that came out was BLACK as......

Do post which other non BMW oil do anyone uses in there car? I am interested.

Also, changing the oil filter twice/third in one oil change is a a good idea? (I just want to make sure there is sludge in the engine, that I am suspecting).
If you are actually collecting enough contaminants in your filter at say 2000 kilometers to warrant changing it, then there is a lot more suspended in your oil. If your engine has that much sludge the new oil may use half of some of its additives (dispersants and detergents) in the first 100 miles as it is fighting all of the built up contaminants. Change the oil with the filter.

If you are curious try one very short oil change (say 3500 kilometers) where you change both the oil and filter. Once drained you can cut the filter open and see what you find.

You can also send a sample of the 3500K oil into a lab for analysis. This generally costs about $50. This will tell you if the new oil took a beating from existing sludge and can help you decide your future drain intervals.

If the oil comes back looking pretty good then you will be safe going onto drain intervals of say 8500 to 10000 kilometers.

Again, if you are not experiencing any side effects of excessive sludge (running hot, sluggish acceleration) then I wouldn't worry too much. Change the oil and enjoy driving the car.

RE: Oil - I use Mobil 1 0W-40 and Hengst Filters