Thread: New K75 owner
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseesj View Post
Thanks Mike. I had my '91 K75 serviced at the nearest dealer (over an hour away and $1000 later). An oil leak at the "crank case cover" was identified but not repaired. Any idea whether this is something I could tackle myself. I have average home mechanic skills but NO experience with MC or BMW repair. Thanks.
What did the dealer do for $1,000? I hope a lot. These bikes are relatively easy to work on, especially for periodic maintenance, so you can save yourself a lot of money by learning to do things yourself. You only need a few special tools (e.g., oil filter wrench - buy the "factory" Hazet wrench).

If by "crank case cover" you mean the cover on the right side of the engine that says "BMW" on it, this is a fairly simple repair. There is a "rubber" gasket that seals the cover to engine seam. The only difficulty is the water hose the runs through the front end of the cover. You should be able to just:

1. remove the 8 bolts that hold the cover on
2. pivot the cover off the engine using the water hose for support
3. remove the old gasket
4. inspect and clean the two gasket mounting surfaces
5. fit the new gasket (IIRC, the gasket goes on "dry")
6. refit the cover and tighten the 8 bolts.

Done!
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).