View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You can't have it both ways, Chris.

You can't say "Leasing cars is foolish, puts suckers into cars they can't afford!"

And then say "I buy the same car and keep it for 10 years so it only costs me $300 a month and I can't afford a BMW monthly lease for that price!"

Don't you see? You've got it backwards. It's the own-and-keep-forever crew that's cheating, that's getting into a $50,000 German luxury car they can't afford. They keep the thing forever, past its shelf life, and say that they're able to "afford" it. It's the leasers that are paying what they can afford per month to always be in new cars who are doing it the right way, getting exactly what they can afford, it's always in style, it's always under warranty.
I didn't say either one. Leasing does let people who can't afford a new BMW get into one, true, not for everyone of course, and I've no idea the proportion.

And I never said I couldn't afford $600/month, I said I'd rather pay $300 for a car I already own, that's more fun to drive than the new 3 series.

Now if I couldn't afford a $600/month car, I could lease one (foolishly), or I could buy a used 3 series for $300/month or whatever I can afford.

You seem to be saying if you can physically make a $600/month payment, you can afford it. That's not the definition of afford.