View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshampine View Post
I slightly overfilled the coolant reservoir on my 2008 535 and was using a 5 inch piece of 3/8 inch copper tubing to siphon some out.

I lost the handle and dropped the tubing into the reservoir. I can't see it and I would imagine it's just sitting at the bottom of the tank.

Do I need to worry about this? I don't imagine the tube could somehow end up leaving the reservoir . . .

What about the copper? Would the antifreeze or copper itself cause some chemical reaction and mess up my cooling system?
You probably will not be able to get a tool into the reservoir opening to retrieve it without damaging your float and it's non-ferrous nature precludes use of a magnet.

First, the speed at which the coolant enters and exits the reservoir offers zero chance of the tubing being drawn out of the reservoir into one of the coolant hoses or interfering with the float.

Second, copper tubing can easily withstand the temperature of the coolant. Remember, cookware is made of copper and is used directly in the flame of a wood fire or gas cook top, and a propane torch is used to heat copper pipe when sweating joints (these flames burn in air at just under 2000degC). Temperature above flame is typically 320degC.

Third, copper is unaffected by coolant chemistry (many radiators are made of copper or are copper lined).

IN SHORT - Forget about it. It won't hurt a thing.

Last edited by bimmerfan52; 09-09-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: additional info