View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Because we're dudes!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0Si
Angry I have the same problem!

Just checking to see if you figured out the problem yet. My 2007 Z4 just started doing the same thing.

Using Shipkiller's instructions (thanks from a fellow bubblehead) I pulled the top out of the car. Motor and pump were perfect (I live in a desert), even bench tested strong. Checked roof compartment microswitch-works correctly.

Don't know how to test the Hall sensors but don't know how they could be the problem since the stoppage occurs midway through the travel length and the Hall sensors only kick in at the end of each direction in order to stop the motor at the right time.

However, something seems to know the position of the top since, like you said, it will jump back up to the 1/3 position after the hydraulic pressure bleeds off a bit and the top drops back an inch or two. This was repeatable many times when I continued to hold the "up" botton as the top slowly dropped and would jump back up to the 1/3 position.

I'm tempted to just get a new top control module, but hate to waste $300 to test a theory, especially since I don't know what device is telling the control module the position of the top midway through its travel length. PFM!

Kugamon - Beer is good food!

2007 Z4 3.0Si
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-bmw-z4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	341383