View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside328 View Post
Kat and fun2drive,

So I had a top that was intermittently stopping in the middle of the cycle, but only once or twice a year and only if the top hadn/t been used for a long time ie. winter. The last month it got more and more problematic. Finally two weeks ago in the up position it would disconnect all the sections and would not stack. Before that I had read this sticky on lubrication and followed it hopeing that was the problem, no dice. Mine is an 2007 with 25K miles and maybe 40-50 total retracts.

So took it to Seattle BMW and ithe problem ended up being the relay that controls the power to the hydralic pump. That explains the symtoms, with relay contacts slowly burning out. It was 4 hours of labor to take the trunk apart to get at the relays. They were real nice and only charged me for 3 hours and I walked out only $500 poorer. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.

Boeing Engineer(eastside328)
I've not had relay failures, but I had a hinge issue that effectively resulted in the same lack of top functioning. IIRC CalWB and Kash have both had relay issues. You are completely right that all the lubrication on the planet will not help if there is a fundamental electrical issue. Maybe we need to start an E93 database of electrical/mechanical issues thread to help people understand the difference between squeaks and rattles and mechanical failures. Bottom line is that anyone who signs up for an E93 needs to fundamentally understand that its care and feeding is above and beyond that of an E90, 91 or 92 due to the extra number of moving parts.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793